1. Yes brother, where you from?
1. [I detect a French accent] Are you serious?
1. Noooo…you look 100% Arab…like Moroccan…something North African maybe.
2. I am Turkish.
2. Yes, 100%. [smile]
1. So why are you doing this kind of work? It’s so hot out man.
2. [smile.] I need to improve my English, so I need to talk to people.
1. So you’re Muslim?
1. From France?
2. Yes, I was born in France.
1. In Marceille?
2. No, Paris.
1. I heard they are really racist in France.
2. Yes, that’s why I moved here. Canada is much better.
1. Do they know who’s Muslims and who’s not?
2. Yes mostly, they can tell.
1. But you have a beard.
1. Why don’t you just shave it off?
2. Why should I? It’s part of my religion.
1. But it will be easier for you to find work.
2. Yes but I am me…so why should I just change?
1. Are there mosques in Paris?
2. Yes of course.
1. People pray?
2. Yes many people pray. On Friday’s they have to close some streets sometimes.