1.Kiya zaat thee uski? (What caste was he?)
2. I’m not sure.
3. Caste? Why does that matter?
4. Oh it matters.
4. It does. I used to think that it doesn’t but…
3. But how though?
4. Ask her [pointing to 1, her mom]
2. That’s something people back home might care about…besides it’s a Hindu idea. We were just talking about bigotry against Muslims in Germany and you’re saying it’s important? It segregates people.
1. It makes a difference.
2. Not for the kids here it doesn’t.
[The banter went back and forth. I realized that such crude thinking couldn’t be fixed. Left it!